Wednesday, September 6, 2023

NYC Marathon Training | Week 7 of 16

7 weeks down, 9 to go!

What a week! My highest mileage week so far (30 miles), longest long run (16 miles) and most hours worked per week all year (69.5 hours over 6 days)… I’m exhausted!

Monday started with a rest day - no running and no classes. 

On Tuesday I had to open and close up the Athletic Club (5:45am-6pm) but I had a little help from Hannah - one of the banquet servers - so I was able to sneak out for a short run at noon. There was a chance of rain all day and man was it HUMID. One of my clients made my day by delivering me donuts from Duke’s Donuts in the Mashpee Commons. They were so good! I won’t tell you how many I had that day. Marathon training will make you do unexplainable things when it comes to food.

Wednesday was another open to close shift but I had Hannah there to help cover the front desk again. I had about an hour and a half of free time between clients and classes so I got out for 5 miles at 8am - again so humid - and showered quick before my class. That afternoon the food and beverage supervisor offered to close up allowing me to leave an hour early which was great because my cousin Austin was in town for a visit. I met up with him and my parents at Naukabout and we crushed it at Team Trivia!


Thursday was my third open to close shift in a row. Each day it got harder and harder getting up in the morning. By the time I got home at 6:15pm, I was ready for bed but Craig took me out to Somerset Creamery and we had ice cream for dinner. It was great.

My only employee left had Friday off from school so she opened for me in the morning. That was great but I still had a 7:30am client so I couldn’t exactly sleep in. I did however get in another mid-day run around 11am ish before she left and I had to cover the desk from 12-6pm. The weather was PERFECT. It felt like fall. The sun was out, the air was cooler and it was wonderful. My run felt surprisingly good for how much sleep I was lacking.

Saturday was my double class day and no running day. Nora worked the morning shift again while I closed. She also trained one of the new front desk employees I recently hired. With him starting, next week is looking a lot better for me. Another week after that we should be back to full staff. That night I got to watch a little Penn State football while Craig went out with some coworkers. There was no way I was getting off the couch to join them!

I didn’t set an alarm for Sunday morning so I got a little later start to my long run then usual. I had 16 on the schedule so I went to Falmouth to get it done. It was about 72 degrees, lower humidity and windy but not a cloud in the sky.

My run wasn’t too eventful - which I guess is a good thing. I thought if my mom was back from pickle ball in time that she might meet me on her bike around 7 miles to join me for the rest of my run. When I got to that spot there was no sign of Linda so I kept on running. I texted to say that I’d be hitting the beach parking lot at both mile 10 and about mile 12.5 so that would be a good place to meet me for a water break. I didn’t see her at 10 but she was there on my way back! She had ice and a water refill and stopped to chat for a little bit. 

Overall I was feeling pretty good. Around mile 9 I turned a corner to run along the beach and the wind was in my face almost bringing me to a standstill. On the way back (11.5 is) the wind was at my back, there was no shade and omg that sun felt warm. I felt like I was starting to melt. 

After I passed my mom I turned onto Maravista which I used to love running until recently when they updated the sidewalks and now it’s like running mini hills the entire way. That next mile really took a lot out of me. Lucky for me my mom was waiting at the end of the street for another quick break and 2 miles to go. I stopped at the light waiting to cross Route 28 and stood next to a man smoking a cigarette. I laughed a little at the differences in our choices for the morning.

After the run, I was very slow moving. I sat on my parents back deck for awhile before sitting on my own back deck with coffee and Craig. I finally hopped in the shower and we made a move. Sandwiches from Dean’s in North Falmouth, a Dunkin’ refresher and some boat time with Pete, Meg & fam. On the way home we stopped for another waffle cone - I mean we basically passed Somerset Creamery so we couldn’t not stop!

Next week I get to drop back on my long run before another big build… 12, 16, 18 coming up over the next 3 weeks!

Monday 8.28.23


Tuesday 8.29.23

4 miles (30:42)

Low Impact Aerobics

Wednesday 8.30.23

5 miles (39:08)

30 min Mat CORE

Thursday 8.31.23

Low Impact Aerobics

Water Aerobics (from the deck)

Friday 9.1.23

5 miles (38:38)

30 min Mat CORE

Saturday 9.2.23

Water Aerobics (from the deck)

Saturday Strength

Sunday 9.3.23

16 miles (2:08:33)

This week’s mileage: 30 miles

This week’s Reggie mileage: 0 miles

Training totals: 171 miles


Week 1 of 16 Week 5 of 16

Week 2 of 16 Week 6 of 16

Week 3 of 16

Week 4 of 16

If you would like to support me and donate to the MEB Foundation, visit my fundraising page:

No comments:

Post a Comment