Disclaimer: I was recently sent a pair of 2XU HYOPTIK Thermal Compression Tights to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador) and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
“Stand out, get noticed, and stay warm.”
Have you ever found a product that you love and can’t stop telling everyone about? That’s how I feel about the 2XU HYOPTIK Thermal Compression Tights! I was so excited when I was offered the opportunity to test them out as a BibRave Pro because I have always sworn by my compression socks and calf sleeves so I was eager to see what wearing full length compression tights would feel like.
The arrival of my compression tights came at a perfect time. I was deep into Houston Marathon training with one final 20-miler approaching. Then came taper, race day and recovery all in the testing period. I pretty much did not take them off!
This was the first product I’ve ever owned from 2XU and my first thought when I took my compression tights out of the box was I couldn’t believe how soft then were! For a “thermal” tight, they seemed very lightweight but high quality and durable.
|Christmas Eve Recovery Mode
I first put them on for recovery after my Christmas Eve 20-miler and then again for Christmas dinner. With the HYOPTIK logos, Grandma Eileen called me a superhero and Johnny told me I looked like a member of KISS. Bad ass! I was so sore—it turned out I was actually injured—that the compression felt wonderful. I chose the size based on the size chart provided by 2XU and they fit perfect. Not too loose, not too tight. I actually felt like the tights were holding everything together. Almost like a big hug for your legs!
The goal of any compression gear is to promote circulation to decrease muscle fatigue and soreness. The box says they feature “compression support for greater protection to abductor, glute, quad, hamstring and calf muscles” with “graduated compression for improved blood circulation.” Pretty much ALL the areas that were sore after that 20-miler!
I finally got a chance to run in my tights the week before the Houston Marathon. I skipped a few training runs due to injury but I was taped up with RockTape and wore my compression tights for extra support. The tights provided the right amount of pressure on my hamstring and glutes. My confidence was rising as it was my first pain-free run in 2 weeks!
I also wore my new tights around the house, under my work pants, hiking with Georgie, at the Houston Marathon expo, the night before the marathon, on the plane ride home…
· HYOPTIK refers to the reflectiveness of the product. I’ve been occasionally running in the dark at Tuesday night run club but more importantly walking my dog every night in the dark. I invested in a LOT of reflective gear this winter and I love that these add reflective logos to my legs! Safety first!
· The 2XU Hyoptik Thermal Compression tights have UPF50+ sun protection! This is so important when running in the winter to protect against the refection off the snow.
· They are moisture wicking to keep you warm and dry and also antibacterial aka they don’t smell after you start sweating in them!
· There is nothing worse than a saggy pair of tights. The 2XU HYOPTIK Thermal Compression Tights stayed in place and didn’t start to stretch out even after wearing them a few times.
· It was about 30 degrees when I ran in my thermal compression tights and they kept me warm. Good news is that they are thin enough that in below freezing temperatures, they would make a perfect base layer.
· The 2XU HYOPTIK Thermal Compression Tights are a little high maintenance in the washing department. I think any brand of compression tights would be though. Wash them inside out. Cold water. Use a mild detergent. Remove immediately from washer. Do not tumble dry. Hang to dry. Do not allow to lay on itself when wet.
· Compression tights ARE expensive but a good pair of running tights will last for YEARS. Totally worth it. Side note: the price tag on my pair is $139.95 but they are currently online for $99.95—buy them now in case the price goes back up! Link to the HYOPTIC Thermal Compression Tights: http://www.2xu.com/us/p/hyoptik-md-ristrml-cmp-3-4tght/WA3506b.html?dwvar_WA3506b_color=BLK_SRF
Have you ever worn compression gear? What is your favorite brand? I’ll tell you that 2XU has become my new compression brand of choice! I love them so much I made sure to put them in my carry on luggage to Houston to make sure nothing happened to them!
Join us on Twitter for the 2XU sponsored #BibChat on January 26th at 9pm EST!
Happy legs, happy running!